My latest hobby of sorts is couponing. After watching Extreme Couponing, I decided I would have a go at. It’s not that it’s new to me I’m sure everybody has used a coupon or two in their lives.
Back in 2002 when I had my little girl and shopping for food became a necessity. I thought the idea of collecting coupons was the ideal thing for a parent to do, wise spending, calculated shopping and organized meal planning. I got me a coupon organizer and well I never used it.
I used to be on top of it back in the day being a stay at home mom and all. I had a monthly meal plan, a categorized grocery list and back then I had my palm pilot so I calculated everything down to the penny. But couponing didn’t play a roll. I wished I would have continued cause I know I would have saved.
So now I’m trying my hand at it again, the only problem is there is too much information on coupons out there. Not to say I don’t think abundance is bad, but come on here. There are a million websites for coupons that are pointless, sites leading you to the same link you had click on, a thousand video’s and articles.
This is what I’ve picked up thus far about couponing and it aint so easy.
1. Print out all store coupon policies (read an understand each one)
2. Purchase a box, coupon organizer, binder and card holder inserts
3. Stack your supply of coupons (from newspapers, printable coupons, email subscriptions, mail, family and friends, store blinkies, in-store coupons, etc
4.Learn the coupon language
5. Gather a few individuals to help you sort through the madness
6.Get your local grocery store ads every week
7. Sign up for store reward cards
8. Strategize your grocery list to coupons and sales
9. Spend hours going around gathering up all your savings and deals
Now this is what I’ve gathered and this list isn’t fun, but I’ve already started and I’m going to see what can be done about simplifying the list. They say once you get the hang of it, it’s easy. So far I’ve spent hours clicking on links, subscribing to product sites, printing and cutting coupons. And I’m still not understanding how exactly I’m going to be able to catch all the savings.
A list of coupon sites I’ve visited
Grocery Coupon Cart
Mommy Saves Big